Friday, October 2, 2009

Iines is now a happy(?) neuter-lady

Iines was sterlized yesterday and is now recovering from operation. Everything went well and there were no visible signs of anything odd. I was curious to find out what the uterus looked like after she has been on the pill, but nothing unusual was found.

I have been a bit stressed out about the pills... I'm not taking any pills myself, so I'm not so happy giving them to my cats either. Iines was first on the pill for 3 months before the first kittens, then I was forced to put her back on the pill when the kittens were 10 weeks old and she had already had one heat and was soon starging another one. That time she was on the pill for 4 months before the second kittens and now again little over 3 months.

I know it's probably not the wisest move to sterilize her, but still... she didn't seem to get any weight even though she was on the pill (on the contrary - she was losing weight instead). According to FIFe rules, I would have had the possibility to mate her for the third time anytime I liked, but she wasn't ready for another litter.

It would have been nice to get more kittens from her, but things don't always go as planned. At least she had two litters and I still have Lilli. Some people suggested to me that I should think about putting an implant to her, so that she would kind of be "neuter" for some time and then fertile again. I'm not saying NEVER, but at the moment that's definately not something I would want to try. After all, I would want any implants on me either, so why would I want to put something like that in my pet? OF COURSE there are benefits that maybe useful in ones breeding...

There are many things why I shouldn't have sterilized Iines - and many things why I think this was the right thing to do. The main thing is, that Lilli is already bigger and at the moment also heavier than her mother. I'm hoping that she will carry on with the lines in the future.

Iines is kind of my favourite cat - always so kind and affectionate - so I'm hoping she will get more weight, more coat and be a beautiful neuter lady :-) I'm probably taking her to some shows next year.

2 comments:

Soikku said...

Paipait verkkosukka-makkarapotilaalle, toivottavasti haava paranee pian!

Päivi said...

Terveiset Iinekselle! Näyttelysuunnitelmat sitten Iineksen kanssa vaan eteenpäin.